Happy Friday, Everyone! What are you up to this weekend? I have a rehearsal tonight, a wedding tomorrow, and then on Sunday afternoon, I have my last concert of the 2017-2018 Season! It’s been an incredible year of major growth for me as a cellist, and now I am ready for a bit of a rest. If you’re looking for something fun to do, read, see, or shop, here are a few of my picks for this week.
1. With this past week’s horrible news regarding the suicides of both Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, let’s all hug our loved ones tight and do our best to be open and available to anyone who might be in need of a friend, a hug or even just a kind word. If you or anyone you know is struggling, call contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (En Español: 1-888-628-9454; Deaf and Hard of Hearing: 1-800-799-4889) or the Crisis Text Line by texting 741741
2. Speaking of depression, and other mental illnesses, I’m fascinated by Michael Pollan’s latest book about the use of psychedelics as a treatment for depression, anxiety and addiction. I hope this newly re-opened dialogue will bring about more funding for much-needed research. I just listened to a great podcast with him about it, and I can’t wait to dive into the book.
3. For something a little bit lighter, how about this? The Sequel to The Devil Wears Prada. FINALLY! It looks deliciously hilarious.
4. As a woman who was single until she was 40, and who decided not to have children, I can definitely relate to this new campaign by SK-II titled #ineverexpire. It was created to bring awareness to age-related pressures put upon women around the globe. You can see the short film here, and Grace Atwood wrote a fantastic blog post about it as well. The comments were amazing.
5. Are you in NYC this weekend? If you are, you should go see this concert. I mean, Brahms Clarinet Quintet AND the Brahms B-flat Sextet in one sitting? I can’t imagine a more luxurious and indulgent concert to get to listen to. Oh, and it’s the Orchestra of St. Luke’s so you know it’s going to be amazing.
6. Anthropologie is having a big sale this weekend. Here are a few of my favorites. This crisp white dress, this super fun red one, or this one with just the right kind of flow (also a great cello dress!)
7. Saturday is National Rosé Day! (Wait, isn’t EVERY DAY Nat’l Rosé day?….) Uncorked Bermuda is having an epic event in the Botanic Gardens. Everyone will be wearing various shades of pink. I have to work, but I might do a sneaky drive by just to see it. And I already have my bottle of Bermuda’s finest chilling in the fridge. For those of you who can’t get here to celebrate, here are a few ways you can join in the fun.
8. For anyone in or near Charleston, tonight is the last night to hear Pia de’ Tolomei at the Spoleto USA Festival. It’s being conducted by Lidiya Yankovskaya, who many of you met here on Tales From the Lane a few weeks ago. It’s getting rave reviews, so go and check it out!
9. Summer is upon us, and the humidity is rising. Protect your instrument with a silk cello/viola/violin bag. I couldn’t find anyone who made them for cello, so I asked my mom to make me one. Now she sells them on etsy and through private orders. The organic silk keeps the moisture level around the instrument consistent, so even if you are moving between an air-conditioned house, outside, and back into an A/C’d hall, your instrument won’t feel the changes as much. I highly recommend them!
10. For those of you (ahem…us?) who were not quite as on the ball about pimping out our outdoor spaces as the clock struck Memorial Day, we have been rewarded by Crate and Barrel with a 50% off outdoor furniture sale! YAY!